The Neighbor: Rabindranath Tagore

     Artist:Rabindranath Tagore 

The Neighbor 

By Rabindranath Tagore

Trans. by Palash Mahmud



My neighbor is a widow like a weeping jasmine soaked with the autumn drews detached from its petiole; she is not for adorning the flower-bed in a bride chamber but only for offering to the gods.


I used to worship her so secretly in my mind. I could not express my romantic feelings about her without borrowing the word worship in lacking of other appropriate, simple dictions- to other people, even, to myself. 


Believe it or not, Nabinmadhab, my dearly blossom friend,  didn't know anything about it. I had been feeling a flicker of delight and pride that I was concealing my such an intense feeling of love in the bottom of my heart so successfully.


But it is also universally acknowledged that our emotional force is not bound to be locked up its sources like the Parbati river. It always conspires to break out by any  means. It feels a great deal of sadness and torments if it fails  to do. So I was wandering on to manifest them through the poetry. But my pen and papers are showing unwillingness to proceed on. 


It was an utmost happiness that Nabinmadhab started showing his irresistible passion to write poetry himself so surprisingly as like an earthquake shakes everything around. 


What a poor boy! He even thought about such an accidental demand, it was like a disaster to him. As he was not expected and being prepared even for a second to collaborate this kind of odd endeavor. I was astounded to see his inclination and stamina to initiate writing the poem eventhough he had not any knowledge of rhetoric and rhythm at that time. Writing poetry was like a second marriage that held the hands at the eleventh hour of a man's life. He came with a flare of  hope sparkling in his eyes to me to streach my hand to sourceing him poetical dictions and rhythmics. 


The pros and cons of poetry are neither novel nor bygone things, metaphorically, it can be said that poetry is both a brand new and primordial simultaneously. "A love letter to a  secret beloved," poking him  laughably I asked, "Who is she, huh?"


"I haven't found anyone till now," Nabin giggled and said. I felt a sense of relief thinking about that I would be useful on writng poetry. I had applied my supressed feeling of love onto Nabin's imaginary girlfriend. As a chickless hen lays its wings out towards a duck' eggs, I had imposed pathetically all of my unacted desires into Nabin's romantic infatuations. I had started to make editings and revisions of his amateurish writing so enthusiastically that it turned as my own creation at last. With a huge surpprise in his voice Nabin said, "I just want to say the only thing but I could say a word that where do these deam-like passionate thoughts come from in your mind? 


"They are all outsourced from my pure imagination, man," I replied as if I were a real poet, "because, imagination is more talkative than reality. Truths make a blockage against your stream of emotions whereas imaginations set them free."   "Oh! It sounds so true," Nabin vehemently said and paused for a while and said again, "ok! alright!" I had said at the beginning that I had a complex of utter hesitation to express my inner feelings regarding love, therefore, I was failed to write a love letter to my beloved on behalf of me. Nabin's letter was just a pretension, a mean to bring out my own wrtings. Every verse was brusting out with my own unquenchable desires. 


Nabin said confidently, "It looks your own private story, it should be published with your name."


"No, it's your writing without any doubt", I said, "I have just made some corrections." After a while Nabin agreeded hesitantly. As the astrologers stare to the skies in search of the stars and constellations, I used to peek and look around the yard of my next door neighbor house, how could I deny that! Sometimes my desperate gazing had been  ended successfully. That  beautiful celibate  neighbor used to work with devotion restlessly, and as soon as the pleasing and subdued radince of her face had been reflected towards me and I could see her at last, my restive heart used to take refuge in solace instantly. What had I seen accidentally that day? Is there any volcano still active in the moon? Have the fires not extinguished fully on that lonesome mountains?


The clouds were condensing in the northwest corner of sky in a summer afternoon. My neighbor was standing alone holding the window grile in the midst of impending stormy and windy dark meliu. I had seen a heavy shadows of melancholy in her eyes. 


There it is! The warmth still resides there in my moonworld. The breathing air is still flowing at this moment. Human are not for the sake of almighty but He is for men. The disquiet of her eyes were flying like a agitated bird in the stormy sky not directed to the strawy nest in a tree but towards a soulmate. It was quiet imposible to control over my perturbed mind after seeing her fervent and cresfallen eyes. I could not rest my heart only making changes in Nabin's inept verses instead I become impatient to do something real act. I had made a resulation to initiate the remarriage of the widows in Bangladesh and on that regards  I would give my best effort. I had planned to form a monetary fund instead of doing armchair's work like writing poems or presenting speeches. "There is an serenity so pure and peaceful in the persistent widowhood,"  Nabin argued adamantly, " there  is a fondness like the endearing moonllight flooding over the prairie in the luminary eleventh. Marriage just grinds this apart."


 I used to get angry hearing this kind of poetic prattle. Those who are starveling and getting skinny day by day in the feminine will not appease their hunger and thirst sniffing the scent of roses or listening the tunes of sparrows. I angrily said, "Look Nabin, as artist says, there is a beauty in looking at a ramshackled hut but you don't only build a house for enjoying its architecture but also for sheltering.So whatever the artist preaches, you need to refurbish the house. You want to write poetry on the skin of  widowhood but she is living with untold and unacted desires in her deep heart, you must keep in mind that."  I thought that I would not able to convince him pull into my gang that's why I had talked so vigorously with him  that day. Suddenly I noticed that after hearing my hard speech he yielded at last; he didn't give me a room for talking other good things.


 He appeared at my home after a week and said, "If you cooperate me I am  ready to marry a widow." I was immensely pleased to hear from him that I pulled him towwards me and embraced him tightly;" I said, "how much money you need? Just say it, I will give you."  Then he started to tell the background story that his beloved was not fictional. He had been started to love a widow secretly but had not disclosed it to anyone. The poems of Nabin, in-other-word which were actually mine, were published in a monthly literary journal sent to the riight place. The poems had been fullfilled their purposes. My friend had invented the ways to convey the dearly messages with out any visitation. 


But Nabin had clearified me that he  had not made any conspiracy and adopted this strategy intentionally. He had assumed that the widow was a illiterate because she would send her brother's documents without any signature. But I knew that it was one kind of madness to comfort oneself as like we offers the flowers in devotion of godess unknowingly either She accept it or not. 


Nabin had made a close friendship with the widow's brother. He said he had no other intention except making a companionship. A companion tastes sweeter if the person is a relative of whom we love. 


One day when the brother was suffering from the acute fever and he had to visit his home and he  finally met with the widow, it was such long story. The reader also at last make a bridge between the poems and the poet, it was undeniable that the conversation was not limited to the poetic issues. 


After surrendering in my persuasion, he had proposed her. At first she rejected but Nabin had rewinded my arguments inmixing with his tears that bounded her to accept the marriage proposal. But her parent asked for some money.


I said, "Take the money now." Nabin added, "Besides that baba must stop sending the monthly pocket money for five or six months, therfore, I need some savings to expense  for two of us in those days."


I had written off a cheque without saying anything. I asked, "What's  her name?" "Don't fear to share with me her name and address as I am not your competitor. I swear I will not write a single poem in praise of her. And if I write I will post it to her brother instead I will handover to you. 


Nabin said, "I don't fear to tell you her name but she is herself so  nervous and ashamed about the marriage, thus, she requested again and again not to discuss about it with other. But its useless to keep it secret. It will be a lie. She is none other than your neighbor living in house no. 19." If my heart had been a iron boiler it would be blasted out within a blink. 


"Does she have no objection to this marriage?" I asked with a  trembling voice. 


"She hasn't till now", he replied humorously.


I asked, "Is she just pleased with the poetry?"


"Why? The poems are not so bad at all", he replied.


 "Fie!', I said in my mind.


To whom?


Neither for her nor for me; not even for God.


But, fie!



        PC: DNA India


প্রতিবেশিনী

-রবীন্দ্রনাথ নাথ ঠাকুর



আমার প্রতিবেশিনী বাল‍্যবিধবা। যেন শরতের শিশিরাপ্লুত শেফালির মতো বৃন্তচ্যুত; কোনো বাসরগৃহের ফুলশয্যার জন্য সে নহে, সে কেবল দেবপুজার জন্যই উৎসর্গ-করা।



তাহাকে আমি মনে মনে পূজা করিতাম। তাহার প্রতি আমার মনের ভাবটা যে কী ছিল পুজা ছাড়া তাহা অন্য কোনো সহজ ভাষায় প্রকাশ করিতে ইচ্ছা করি না— পরের কাছে তো নয়ই, নিজের কাছেও না।


আমার অন্তরঙ্গ প্ৰিয়বন্ধ নবীনমাধব, সেও কিছু জানিত না। এইরূপে এই-যে আমার গভীরতম আবেগটিকে গোপন করিয়া নিমাল করিয়া রাখিয়াছিলাম, ইহাতে আমি কিছু গর্ব অনুভব করিতাম।


কিন্তু মনের বেগ পার্বতী নদীর মতো নিজের জন্মশিখরে আবদ্ধ হইয়া থাকিতে চাহে না। কোনো-একটা উপায়ে বাহির হইবার চেষ্টা করে। অকৃতকার্য হইলে বক্ষের মধ্যে বেদনার সৃষ্টি করিতে থাকে। তাই ভাবিতেছিলাম, কবিতায় ভাব প্রকাশ করিব। কিন্তু কুণ্ঠিতা লেখনী কিছুতেই অগ্রসর হইতে চাহিল না।


 পরমাশচর্য্যের বিষয় এই যে, ঠিক এই সময়েই আমার বন্ধু নবীনমাধবের অকস্মাৎ বিপুল বেগে কবিতা লিখিবার ঝোঁক আসিল, যেন হঠাৎ ভূমিকম্পের মতো।


 সে বেচারার এরূপে দৈববিপত্তি পাবে কখনও হয় নাই, সুতরাং সে এই অভিনব আন্দোলনের জন্য লেশমাত্র প্রস্তুত ছিল না। তাহার হাতের কাছে ছন্দ মিল কিছুরই জোগাড় ছিল না, তবু সে দমিল না দেখিয়া আশ্চর্য হইয়া গেলাম। কবিতা যেন বদ্ধ বয়সের দ্বিতীয় পক্ষের স্ত্রীর মতো তাহাকে পাইয়া বসিল। নবীনমাধব ছন্দ মিল সম্বন্ধে সহায়তা ও সংশোধনের জন্য আমার শরণাপন্ন হইল।


 কবিতার বিষয়গুলি নূতন নহে; অথচ পুরাতনও নহে। অর্থাৎ তাহাকে চিরনূতনও বলা যায়, চিরপুরাতন বলিলেও চলে। প্রেমের কবিতা, প্রিয়তমার প্রতি। আমি তাহাকে একটা ঠেলা দিয়া হাসিয়া জিজ্ঞাসা করিলাম, “কে হে, ইনি কে।”


 নবীন হাসিয়া কহিল, “এখনও সন্ধান পাই নাই।”


 নবীন রচয়িতার সহায়তাকাযে আমি অত্যন্ত আরাম পাইলাম। নবীনের কাল্পনিক প্রিয়তমার প্রতি আমার রুদ্ধ আবেগ প্রয়োগ করিলাম। শাবকহীন মুরগি যেমন হাঁসের ডিম পাইলেও বুক পাতিয়া তা দিতে বসে, হতভাগ্য আমি তেমনি নবীনমাধবের ভাবের উপরে হৃদয়ের সমস্ত উত্তাপ দিয়া চাপিয়া বসিলাম। আনাড়ির লেখা এমনি প্রবল বেগে সংশোধন করিতে লাগিলাম যে, প্রায় পনেরো-আনা আমারই লেখা দাঁড়াইল।


 নবীন বিস্মিত হইয়া বলে, “ঠিক এই কথাই আমি বলিতে চাই, কিন্তু বলিতে পারি না। অথচ তোমার এ-সব ভাব জোগায় কোথা হইতে।”।


 আমি কবির মতো উত্তর করি, “কল্পনা হইতে। কারণ, সত্য নীরব, কল্পনাই মুখরা। সত্য ঘটনা ভাবস্রোতকে পাথরের মতো চাপিয়া থাকে, কল্পনাই তাহার পথ মুক্ত করিয়া দেয়।”


গভীর মুখে একটখানি ভাবিয়া কহিল, “তাই তো দেখিতেছি। ঠিক বটে।” আবার খানিকক্ষণ ভাবিয়া বলিল, “ঠিক, ঠিক।” পবেই বলিয়াছি আমার ভালোবাসার মধ্যে একটি কাতর সংকোচ ছিল, তাই নিজের জবানিতে কোনোমতে লিখিতে পারিলাম না। নবীনকে পদার মতো মাঝখানে রাখিয়া তবেই আমার লেখনী মুখ খলিতে পারিল। লেখাগুলো যেন রসে ভরিয়া উত্তাপে ফাটিয়া উঠিতে লাগিল । 


নবীন বলিল, “এ তো তোমারই লেখা। তোমারই নামে বাহির করি।” আমি কহিলাম, “বিলক্ষণ। এ তোমারই লেখা, আমি সামান্য একটা বদল করিয়াছি মাত্র।” ক্ৰমে নবীনেরও সেইরূপ ধারণা জন্মিল। জ্যোতিবিদ যেমন নক্ষত্রোদয়ের অপেক্ষায় আকাশের দিকে তাকাইয়া থাকে আমিও যে তেমনি মাঝে মাঝে আমাদের পাশের বাড়ির বাতায়নের দিকে চাহিয়া দেখিতাম, সে কথা অস্বীকার করিতে পারি না। মাঝে মাঝে ভক্তের সেই ব্যাকুল দটিক্ষেপ সাথকও হইত। সেই কমযোগনিরতা ব্ৰহাচারিণীর সৌম্য মুখশ্ৰী হইতে শান্তনিখ জ্যোতি প্রতিবিম্বিত হইয়া মহেতের মধ্যে আমার সমস্ত চিত্তক্ষোভ দমন করিয়া দিত। 


কিন্তু সেদিন সহসা এ কী দেখিলাম। আমার চন্দ্রলোকেও কি এখনও অগ্ন্যুৎপাত আছে। সেখানকার জনশন্য সমাধিমণ্ডন গিরিগুহার সমস্ত বহ্নিদাহ এখনও সম্পর্ণে নিবাণ হইযা যায় নাই কি । সেদিন বৈশাখ মাসের অপরাহ্লে ঈশান কোণে মেঘ ঘনাইয়া আসিতেছিল। সেই আসন্ন ঝঞ্জার মেঘবিচ্ছুরিত রদ্রদীপ্তিতে আমার প্রতিবেশিনী জানালায় একাকিনী দড়িাইয়া ছিল। সেদিন তাহার শনানিবিষ্ট ঘনকৃষ্ণ দটির মধ্যে কী সদরপ্রসারিত নিবিড় বেদনা দেখিতে পাইলাম। আছে, আমার ঐ চন্দ্রলোকে এখনও উত্তাপ আছে! এখনও সেখানে উষ্ণ নিশ্বাস সমীরিত। দেবতার জন্য মানুষ নহে, মানুষের জন্যই সে। তাহার সেই দলটি চক্ষর বিশাল ব্যাকুলতা সেদিনকার সেই ঝড়ের আলোকে ব্যগ্র পাখির মতো উড়িয়া চলিয়াছিল। বগের দিকে নহে, মানবহন্দয়নীড়ের দিকে। সেই উৎসক আকাঙ্ক্ষা-উদ্দীপত দটিপাতটি দেখার পর হইতে অশান্ত চিত্তকে সস্থির করিয়া রাখা আমার পক্ষে দুঃসাধ্য হইল। তখন কেবল পরের কাঁচা কবিতা সংশোধন করিয়া তৃপিত হয় না—একটা যে-কোনোপ্রকার কাজ করিবার জন্য চঞ্চলতা জন্মিল।


 তখন সংকল্প করিলাম, বাংলাদেশে বিধবাবিবাহ প্রচলিত করিবার জন্য আমার সমস্ত চেটা প্রয়োগ করিব। কেবল বস্তৃতা ও লেখা নহে, অথসাহায্য করিতেও অগ্রসর হইলাম। নবীন আমার সঙ্গে তক করিতে লাগিল ; সে বলিল, “চিরবৈধব্যের মধ্যে একটি পবিত্র শান্তি আছে, একাদশীর ক্ষীণ জ্যোৎস্নালোকিত সমবিভূমির মতো একটি বিরাট রমণীয়তা আছে ; বিবাহের সম্ভাবনামায়েই কি সেটা ভাঙিয়া যায় না।” এ-সব কবিত্বের কথা শুনিলেই আমার রাগ হইত। দুর্ভিক্ষে যে লোক জীৰ্ণ হইয়া মরিতেছে তাহার কাছে আহারপটে লোক যদি খাদ্যের স্থলেত্বের প্রতি ঘৃণা  প্রকাশ করিয়া ফলের গন্ধ এবং পাখির গান দিয়া মমবার পেট ভরাইতে চাহে তাহা হইলে সে কেমন হয় । আমি রাগিয়া কহিলাম, “দেখো নবীন, আর্টিস্ট লোকে বলে, দশ্য হিসাবে পোড়ো বাড়ির একটা সৌন্দৰ্য আছে। কিন্তু বাড়িটাকে কেবল ছবির হিসাবে দেখিলে চলে না, তাহাতে বাস করিতে হয়, অতএব আর্টিস্ট যাহাই বলন, মেরামত আবশ্যক। বৈধব্য লইয়া তুমি তো দরে হইতে দিব্য কবিত্ব করিতে চাও, কিন্তু তাহার মধ্যে একটি আকাঙ্ক্ষাপণে মানবহৃদয় আপনার বিচিত্র বেদনা লইয়া বাস করিতেছে, সেটা সমরণ রাখা কতব্য।” 


মনে করিয়াছিলাম, নবীনমাধবকে কোনোমতেই দলে টানিতে পারিব না, সেদিন সেইজন্যই কিছু অতিরিক্ত উস্মার সহিত কথা কহিয়াছিলাম। কিন্তু হঠাৎ দেখিলাম, আমার বস্তৃতা-অবসানে নবীনমাধব একটিমাত্র গভীর দীর্ঘনিশ্বাস ফেলিয়া আমার সমস্ত কথা মালিয়া লইল ; বাকি আরও অনেক ভালো ভালো কথা বলিবার অবকাশই পেলাম না। 


সপ্তাহখানেক পরে নবীন আসিয়া কহিল, “তুমি যদি সাহায্য কর আমি একটি বিধবাবিবাহ করিতে প্রস্তুত আছি।” এমনি খুশি হইলাম-নবীনকে বকে টানিয়া কোলাকুলি করিলাম ; কহিলাম ; “যত টাকা লাগে আমি দিব।” তখন নবীন তাহার ইতিহাস বলিল । বুঝিলাম, তাহার প্রিয়তমা কাল্পনিক নহে। কিছুকাল ধরিয়া একটি বিধবা নারীকে সে দরে হইতে ভালোবাসিত, কাহারও কাছে তাহা প্রকাশ করে নাই। যে মাসিক পত্রে নবীনের, ওরফে আমার, কবিতা বাহির হইত সেই পত্রগুলি যথাস্থানে গিয়া পেশছিত। কবিতাগুলি ব্যথ হয় নাই। বিনা সাক্ষাৎকারে চিত্ত-আকর্ষণের এই এক উপায় আমার বন্ধ বাহির করিয়াছিলেন। 


 কিন্তু নবীন বলেন, তিনি চক্রান্ত করিয়া এই-সকল কৌশল অবলম্বন করেন নাই। এমন-কি, তাঁহার বিশ্বাস ছিল, বিধবা পড়িতে জানেন না। বিধবার ভাইয়ের নামে কাগজগুলি বিনা বাক্ষরে বিনা মল্যে পাঠাইয়া দিতেন। এ কেবল মনকে সাত্বনা দিবার একটা পাগলামিমাত্র। মনে হইত, দেবতার উদ্দেশে পপাঞ্জলি দান করা গেল, তিনি জানন বা না জানন, গ্রহণ করন বা নাই করন। নানা ছতায় বিধবার ভাইয়ের সহিত নবীন ষে বন্ধত্ব করিয়া লইয়াছিলেন, নবীন বলেন, তাহারও মধ্যে কোনো উদ্দেশ্য ছিল না। যাহাকে ভালোবাসা বায় তাহার নিকটবতী আত্মীয়ের সঙ্গ মধর বোধ হয়। অবশেষে ভাইয়ের কঠিন পীড়া উপলক্ষে ভগিনীর সহিত কেমন করিয়া সাক্ষাৎ হয় সে সদেীঘ কথা। কবির সহিত কবিতার অবলম্বিত বিষয়টির প্রত্যক্ষ পরিচয় হইয়া কবিতা সম্বন্ধে অনেক আলোচনা হইয়া গেছে। আলোচনা ষে কেবল ছাপানো কবিতা-কয়টির মধ্যেই বন্ধ ছিল তাহাও নহে।


 সম্প্রতি আমার সহিত তকে পরাস্ত হইয়া নবীন সেই বিধবার সহিত সাক্ষাৎ করিয়া বিবাহের প্রস্তাব করিয়া বসিয়াছে। প্রথমে কিছুতেই সম্মতি পায় নাই। নবীন তখন আমার মুখের সমস্ত যুক্তিগুলি প্রয়োগ করিয়া এবং তাহার সহিত নিজের চোখের দুই-চার ফোঁটা জল মিশাইয়া তাহাকে সম্পণে হার মানাইয়াছে। এখন বিধবার অভিভাবক পিসে কিছু টাকা চায়।


আমি বলিলাম, “এখনই লও।” 


নবীন বলিল, “তাহা ছাড়া বিবাহের পর প্রথম মাস পাঁচ-ছয় বাবা নিশ্চয় আমার মাসহারা বন্ধ করিয়া দিবেন, তখনকার মতো উভয়ের খরচ চালাইবার জোগাড় করিয়া দিতে হইবে।” 


আমি কথাটি না কহিয়া চেক লিখিয়া দিলাম। বলিলাম, "এখন তাঁহার নামটি বলো।" আমার সঙ্গে যখন কোনো প্রতিযোগিতা নাই তখন পরিচয় দিতে ভয় করিয়ো না। তোমার গা ছুইয়া শপথ করিতেছি, আমি তাঁহার নামে কবিতা লিখিব না, এবং যদি লিখি তাঁহার ভাইকে না পাঠাইয়া তোমার কাছে পাঠাইয়া দিব।” 


নবীন কহিল, “আরে, সেজন্য আমি ভয় করি না। বিধবাবিবাহের লঙ্গায় তিনি অত্যন্ত কাতর, তাই তোমাদের কাছে তাঁহার সম্বন্ধে আলোচনা করিতে তিনি অনেক করিয়া নিষেধ করিয়া দিয়াছিলেন। কিন্তু এখন আর ঢাকিয়া রাখা মিথ্যা। তিনি তোমারই প্রতিবেশিনী, ১৯ নম্বরে থাকেন।”


হৎপিণ্ডটা যদি লোহার বয়লার হইত তো এক চমকে ধক করিয়া ফাটিয়া যাইত। জিজ্ঞাসা করিলাম, “বিধবাবিবাহে তাঁহার অমত নাই ?” 


নবীন হাসিয়া কহিল, “সম্প্রতি তো নাই।” 


আমি কহিলাম, “কেবল কবিতা পড়িয়াই তিনি মগধ ?” নবীন কহিল, “কেন, আমার সেই কবিতাগলি তো মন্দ হয় নাই।” 


আমি মনে মনে কহিলাম, ধিক। 


ধিক কাহাকে। 


তাঁহাকে, না আমাকে, না বিধাতাকে ? 


কিন্তু ধিক।




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

বুনোহাঁস : পলাশ মাহমুদ

Shoeshine [1946] : Vittorio De Sica

Andaz [1949] : Mehboob Khan