The Viking : Roy William Neill



Before pressing the play button of  Roy William Neill's The Viking (1928) on YouTube, I was so excited as if I were going to the studio for my first directing a film. 

The Viking (1928) was a first feature film where both technicolor (3 color process) instead of kinemacolor (2 color process) and movietone (sound-on-film) insted of vitaphone  (sound-on-disc) are used that had changed the pathways of cinema making forever.

I was pondering over some aspect of film making when I was watching this movie. It's about hunan creative skills and depth. If I put aside the technical aspects then I was  amazed by the  scriptwriting, production designing, musical scoring, costume designing and make up, cinematic composing, acting and not last but greatest two factors the directing and producing are under the full control and courage. These are more or less similar now and then. Though ultra modern technologies in sounds, colors, visuals and all the other accessories and kits have just been improvising our cinematic experiences and the process will be going on eternally I assume keeping the life expectency of other art forms in mind. That's why I have been enjoying the films from the beginning.

I have noticed some very similarities between The Jazz Singer (1927) and  The Viking (1928). The first one had been produced by Warners Bros. (Jewis oriented studio) on tension between Jews tradions and black cultures in American life. The later one had been produce Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (Christan run studio) on conflict between new Christian faith and white colonial establishment in America. 

One revolutionized the lip-synchronized sound system and the other shifted paradigmatically  B&W to color feature films.

I haven't imagined ever that I will love to watch movies fron silent era with such a enthusiasm. I was wandering about one thing that we call film as it is captured on film or movie as it is moving pictures then it requires a new name as it's capturing on sensor.

I an in pursuit of  giving it a new  name and adding something unprecedented and new aspect in world cinema. 

 
🎬The Viking (1928)
Roy William Neill
English, USA.

🔴🎼[First Feature Film [Sound  with no dialogue & Color]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoeshine [1946] : Vittorio De Sica

বুনোহাঁস : পলাশ মাহমুদ

Andaz [1949] : Mehboob Khan